Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hello from Conway, NH







Hi Barbara, Aberdeen, Emily and Fatima!
Its great to hear from all of you and learn a bit about your world "down under". The kids in our group who will be blogging are all busy with summer vacation here. Some are going to visit family, some are doing summer camps, and some are just busy! We meet every Thursday over the summer at the library so I will remind them about the blog IF I see any of them this week!

Your questions are great and I have a few for you as well! When you all talk about football, could you tell us what you mean? I am a huge American Football fan but know that you are not talking American football. Please let us all know a bit about your football! Your link is most helpful but I think it would be nice to have a brief description posted! American football is played with an oval ball (nicknamed a pigskin) and there are two teams with the quarterback orchestrating the plays to the other players.
Points are mainly scored with touchdowns ( 6 points)
and the filed goal (1 point) after the touch down.
I am a huge Patriots fan and this is our qb going for a win
during a huge game a few years back. His name is Tom Brady. Football starts here in late August and ends (sadly!) in February.


Also, we live in the mountains in a rural area that people love to visit. There is a huge shopping area as I guess some Americans like to shop on vacation (Not me!) but where we are its over an hour drive to any shopping center. Melbourne is a large city...please tell us a bit about what life is like for you!

And my last question for today, what is everyone reading right now? I have a great list of the books that we have read so far in book club and will post that soon. We are finishing up reading "The Seeing Stone" by Kevin Crossley-Holland. Its a fantasy that has a bit of historical fiction as its about Arthur who pulls the sword from the stone to become king. Its been a fun book and part of a series.

To answer Aberdeen's question about sports, I love to swim and being that it is summer time that means I get to swim quite a bit. I love to go to the ocean but the water is too cold to swim for any length of time (50+ degrees...brrr) so I am in and out. However, in the mountains where we live there are many great lakes and rivers to swim in. I can swim for a long time in the lakes as they are so much warmer!

I will send some pictures of where we live when I get time...its very beautiful here in the White Mountains! Take care, Janis/NH

No comments: